Inspecting Islington Council accounts

The Borough’s accounts (financial year ending 31 March 2010) are NOW OPEN to Borough electors to inspect, make copies of the accounts, all books, deeds, contracts, bills, vouchers and receipts relating to them. (A charge may be made for excessive copies.)

Major Works Bills
Paid major works bills?  You might wish to ask to see the paid bills to the contractor by HFI/Islington – perhaps also the contract covering the works.   Sometimes the contractor is not paid until some time after you’ve paid.

Service Charge Bills

Same as for major works bills, you might be surprised what Islington paid for block works etc. (were bills paid more than once ?) in comparison with what you have all been billed for.

Do remember that the vital question is ‘how much’ –  not ‘why’, which is for Councillors to answer.

Call Mohammed Sajid (Islington Council Chief Accountant) 0207 527 2574/2432/2269 or email to make an appointment to view the documents (at Council Offices, 7 Newington Barrow Way, London N7 7EP between 9.30am and 4.30pm on Mondays to Fridays until Monday 27 July 2009).

Having done that you may still have questions/objections to the Accounts which you would like to raise with the District Auditor, Mr Philip Johnstone and from 10.00 on 27 July until end September.  Call 0844 798 2881 or write to Mr Philip Johnstone, at the Audit Commission, 1st Floor Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4HQ to make an appointment.  (The District Auditor is totally independent of the Council, represents the taxpayer to ensure the Council spends our money properly.

If you have good reason to, you may object to the Council’s accounts asking that the auditor issue a report in the public interest (under section 8 of the Audit Commission Act 1998)

You can also apply to the court for a declaration that an item in the accounts is contrary to law (under section 17 of the Audit Commission Act 1998). Written notice of a proposed objection and the grounds on which it is made must be sent to the District Auditor at the address given above.
Below are the 2 links to the legislation referred to includes at Section 17 how to make a written notice of proposed objection if a registered elector feels it necessary. gives more information.

Leave a Reply

Share via
Copy link